Wednesday, September 8, 2010

JoeChat: 7 September 2010

Clay Defayette (NY)
Watching Chapman pitch makes me wonder if the Cuban Missile Crisis is really over. Ok sorry, had to get that out of the way. I'm interested in your thoughts about developing Chapman to be the future closer instead of a starter. It looks like the Reds have a nice cast of young starters already, and could Aroldis throw that hard and have consistent location for 5 plus innings? It could help Cincinnati sell tickets as well. Fans could come to every game with the hope of seeing the fire-throwing Cuban. I'm almost sure you've already had this thought yourself. 
Joe Morgan 
  (11:09 AM)
My understanding is they're going to make him a starter. Remember this, a great starting pitcher is more valuable than a closer because you get more innings out of him. Every team goes into a season with a certain number of innings that need to be pitched. The more innings a starter throws, the less the bullpen gets stretched.
Look at Clay over there!  He’s cracking jokes like it’s his job.  I would just leave it to Joe big man, he’s the best at making the worst jokes.  Hey Joe, kudos for ignoring Clay’s lame joke, but you forgot to answer the only question that he asked.  Within that little paragraph, there was one sentence that ended with a question mark.  could Aroldis throw that hard and have consistent location for 5 plus innings?  Yes Joe, this is a question.  Yes Joe, your job is to actually answer these so-called “questions.”  So instead of at least talking about how Aroldis would do as a starter (in your retarded opinion), you chose to talk about the value of a starting pitcher for the whole response.  Yes Joe, we fuckin understand the value of a starting pitcher.  I’ve read your response to Clay 3 times now.  If I were him I would be pissed off because you didn’t even come close to responding with any sort of knowledge at all.  Every team goes into a season with a certain number of innings that need to be pitched. Are you kidding?  What does this have to do with anything?  I’m sorry Clay, I’m sorry Joe is a dumbass.

Tito (Brooklyn)
Do you think Nyjer Morgan received an appropriate punishment for his actions?
Joe Morgan 
  (11:12 AM)
My answer is no. I don't know about the first two incidents, I only saw the last one. First of all, if he did something wrong the day before and they decided they wanted to hit him and they did. He got first base and then he stole some bases. They don't control when he stole bases. Everything in my mind on the second day was precipitated by the Marlins. They threw behind him. And who says that you can't steal a base when you're down 11 runs? It seems like all of these unwritten rules are being written by the young players to cover themselves. There is nothing wrong with what he did there. I don't know about the other stuff beforehand, but what he did that day, I don't have a problem with. I don't think he was at fault there.
First off, Nyjer Morgan is out of his fuckin mind.  He needed a suspension badly, he needs to take the rest of the season off actually. (before he kills someone)  Joe, you didn’t see what he did the day before huh?  I think that might be a problem.  Well since you didn’t see, I will shed some light.  Nyjer assaulted the Marlins catcher, he didn’t even go for the plate.  Not remotely.  He showed no respect toward the situation, saying that “he would have hurt himself” if he had tried to slide.  He’s out of his mind and Joe is an ignorant shit.
Mike (Ohio)
Do you think Chapman has enough control/command to be a big success as a starter? The speed is great, but once the book on him gets around I think a lot of hitters will start to lay off the slider.
Joe Morgan 
  (11:13 AM)
Yes. He hasn't walked a hitter in the innings he has pitched. I just think he's going to be a great pitcher. I saw him in spring training as a starter. He's coming from a different culture. He doesn't speak the language. It takes a while for him to adjust. I've had opportunities to speak with him, I speak a little Spanish, he has a great demeanor. He's very calm on the mound. I think he's going to be a great pitcher.
At least you gave a straightforward answer, “Yes.”  Everything after that was just awful.  Joe should’ve just stopped at “Yes.”  He hasn't walked a hitter in the innings he has pitched.  False.  He walked about in the inning he pitched on September 4th against St. Louis.  Even if he hadn't walked any, he was only pitched 3.33 innings…what about the minor leagues?  He had an average command in the minors, a 2.4 k/BB ratio.   I just think he's going to be a great pitcher…. I think he's going to be a great pitcher.  It's DEJA VU!  Classic dimwit Joe.  I have a major problem with that entire middle part of this "answer."  What the fuck does any of that have to do with him being a big success as a starter?  Joe, in case you haven't realized, a good portion of baseball players are not American-born.  I'm sure the Reds pitching coach knows Spanish, its basically a given that all coaches know the language.   I've had opportunities to speak with him, I speak a little Spanish, he has a great demeanor. I guarantee that you speak more Spanish than you do English, cause half the time nobody knows what on God's green earth you are talking about.

Andrew (Montgomery, AL)
What is it about Buck Showalter that has turned the Orioles into a decent team? The Rays and Yankees can't seem to beat them.
Joe Morgan  (11:14 AM)
I've always felt that Buck was a very good baseball man. He knows the game and he stresses fundamentals, which are the more important parts of the game that are lacking on some of these losing teams. They're just not making the same mistakes they were making before.
Read the question, and then read Joe's first sentence.  Read it again.  He's a manager of damn baseball team!  Of course he is a good baseball man!  There goes Joe and his "fundamentals" again.
Tito (Brooklyn)
Can the Padres win in the playoffs given their recent struggles?
Joe Morgan  (11:18 AM)
Anybody that gets into the playoffs can win. They've proven they can win, they just hit a bad stretch. Even the Yankees who are 30+ games over .500 have hit bad stretches. Maybe not as bad as San Diego. But they've built such a big cushion and they're still in first place. You still have to turn it around and maybe last night was that point.
First sentence just makes you sound as dumb as you are.  Even the Yankees who are 30+ games over .500 have hit bad stretches. Maybe not as bad as San Diego.  So basically you just negated the first sentence.  You are useless.
Austin (Cincinnati)
Hey Joe, Do you think if the Reds are able to make the playoffs, will they be able to go far or early exit?
Joe Morgan  (11:22 AM)
Anybody that gets into the playoffs can win the world championship, because it's a short series. The only thing I would say about Cincinnati is that they do not have a true ace like Halladay, Sabathia. I think Volquez, when healthy is as good as anybody. The question will be how healthy he is. When you matchup with a team's No. 1, you need someone to stand toe to toe with him. Volquez is that guy, but he's been injured. Arroyo is an excellent pitcher, but you don't always expect him to pitch a shutout. Same for Cueto. But their team is so good, especially defensively, they can beat anybody on any given day. They have a lot of positives. They run the bases hard, they're excellent defensively. They're a real fun team to watch.
For real Joe?  You gave someone else the same crap answer earlier in this chat session.  Any after reading your little useless analysis for the second time, I realize that you didn't answer his question.  

Tito (Brooklyn)
Do you know why Javier Vazquez has struggled so much this year?
Joe Morgan  (11:26 AM)
I'm not so sure it's just the AL or pitching in New York. Some people can handle pitching in New York. The spotlight is bigger in New York than anywhere else. He might not like that. If he were with another AL team, I think he would pitch better.
I actually sort of agree with Joe on this topic.  Javier Vazquez has not pitched well in "big" games.  The only response I think that I agree with in this entire chat session.  I didn't think it possible.
John (Long Island)
Joe,You've mentioned at other times you are a sports fan, just like us. So, who do you like in this afternoon's Venus - Schiavone quarterfinal tilt out at the USTA-King Tennis Ctr.?
Joe Morgan  (11:28 AM)
I attened the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York for years. I haven't been for years because of my schedule. I would love to be out there right now, but just can't. My schedule makes it difficult.
You are so damn annoying.  All John did was ask an innocent question.  You didn't even acknowledge it.  You just went off in your own little fantasy land.  He doesn't care that you are a tennis fan, he already knows that.  John just wants your opinion on the match.  Attended is the word you were trying to say in the first sentence, but you know what?  It doesn't even matter, because your responses never matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment